6.16.2015

To be treasured....

Mary was just 9 
when she crossed her last stitch on this sampler.
The year was 1819.  
I have a weakness when it comes to samplers with houses,
but there was more then just the house,
more on that later...


Her young eyes had no trouble stitching a verse in
 over one,
 on teeny tiny linen.  
I love the verse.
In a close up study you will see a few of the bird's Mary stitched are going side-ways.  
This is a little unusual for a schoolgirl sampler.  
What did her instructress think of her side-way birds? 
Makes you wonder, doesn't it?!!

Her chosen verse reads:
All you my friends that now expect to see
a piece of marking thus performed by me
cast but a smile on this my mean endeavour
I will strive to mend and be obedient ever




What makes this sampler extra special is I am able to put a face to the name.
An older face, anyway.
This is Mary Meredith in her later years.  
Her married name was Mary Hope.

Her clothing indicates she is in mourning.  
Who was she mourning, one wonders?

Look close.
  See her necklace?


Tucked away in a velvet line box
 lies Mary's necklace.
It is the necklace she is wearing in the photo.
Sort of gives you goose bumps,
doesn't it?



Take a closer look...
 A mourning necklace.
The center locket of the pendant
holds basket-weaved hairs of
the deceased, 
in which she is mourning.

Treasures....
not to be forgotten.

With thy needle & thread,
Brenda








13 comments:

Lisa said...

What a beautiful sampler! I hope you are reproducing it for us to stitch! I have missed your blog and was glad to see something posted today. Thank you!

samplerlover said...

How amazing not only to have the sampler, but also a likeness of Mary but also something so personal to her. Mourning pieces were treasured by the owners as it's probably their only link to a departed loved one. It's a really lovely sampler.

StitchinByTheLake said...

So lovely - both the sampler and the story. blessings, marlene

Patti said...

Wow! Absolutely amazing that these treasures have stayed together all of these years.
Blessings, Patti

Cathy B said...

That is really special. To be treasured indeed!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

beautiful post my friend ~ happy that you're the caretaker of such sweet remembrances.
L

Vickie said...

It does give me goosebumps. I am so glad these things continue to be treasured.

Judy Zarlenga said...

Beautiful sample and blog

Unknown said...

So touching and bittersweet...

woolwoman said...

wow so amazing that the sampler, photo and mourning piece stayed together for almost 200 years. Must have been passed down thru mostly family members. Most people today I don't think care two hoots about anything - chunk it on the curb or call the junk man to pick it up. I'm sure that is what will happen to all my things unless my EGA group intervenes and I certainly hope they will. thanks for sharing the lovely work of Mary Meredith. Cheers Mel

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Wonderful! I was raised by auction-goers/antique lovers, and I appreciate so much someone who takes care of precious pieces like this.

I always love to see you've posted. Love anything you've produced and am working on one of your charts right now.

lisa said...

WOW...I am astounded at this collection......did you purchase at an estate sale or auction?? What a find!!! Wonder what her geneology is?? Do you know what part of the country she lived in? Must have been wealthy?? Lisa

Play bazaar said...

mai dil tut 💔 rahe hai,
uss umar 👦 mai hamari natraz ki pencil ✏ tuta karti thi. satta king play bazaar